The Pharos Print Center provides a convenient way of releasing documents. It is a web portal that enables users to release documents sent via Pharos Popups or standard Pharos Queues to any Pharos Uniprint controlled printer.
The Pharos Print Center (Standard) allows you to do the following:
Release print jobs sent via Pharos Queues and Popups, including password protected jobs
Check available balance
View activity history
Delete print jobs
Create guest accounts
Charge print jobs to Third Party Charging (i.e. Cost Centers or Grants) if configured
If your system is running the Pharos credit card gateway, it also allows you to add funds to your Pharos account (via credit card, debit card, or PayPal account).
If your system is integrated with Pharos MobilePrint 2.0, the Pharos Print Center also enables you to do the following:
Upload documents for printing
Send documents to print via email
Change printing options for MobilePrint jobs (e.g. black & white to color, single-sided to double-sided)
The following illustrates how you can send and release documents via the Pharos Print Center.
1. Submit document(s) to print. Submit document via the Pharos Queues or via the Popup Client.
2. Release document(s) from the Pharos Print Center. The Pharos Print Center allows you to release your print jobs directly to your chosen printer. Follow these steps to release your jobs using the Pharos Print Center:
1. Using a web browser, enter the web address of the Pharos Print Center.
2. Log on using your username and password (typically your university network ID and password).
3. Select the document(s) you want to print by checking on the box next to the job type.
4. Select the desired Payment Method.
5. Select or search for the printer that you wish to send your print job(s) to.
6. Click Print to send the selected job(s) for printing and then confirm payment.
7. Collect your printed documents.
Your available balance is displayed at the lower left hand of the Pharos Print Center.My Funds is the total balance of all the three purses - Technology Grant, Tuition Fees, and User Pays.
Note:Your updated balance may not appear until you hit function F5. Take note that the Refresh action updates the Job list only, not the balance.
When printing your jobs from the Pharos Print Center, you can select where to charge your print jobs to. You can select from the following options:
My Funds – This is the default payment method. Printing costs will be charged to your personal funds (i.e. internal Pharos account).
Cost Center (if present) – Printing costs will be charged against a Cost Center rather than from your individual user account. This option is available only if you have a Cost Center.
1. Select the print job(s) that you want to print.
2. On the bottom left hand side of the Pharos Print center, click on the text “Click to search for an available Cost Center” and then enter the name of your desired Cost Center. A list of recently selected Cost Center is displayed when you click on the Cost Center option.
If your printer is not on the Printer list, you can search for it by typing any of the following printer information:
The first time you select or use a printer, Pharos Print Center will tag the printer as recently used. The next time you select a printer; you will see the last selected printer only. All other printers will not be visible, but they can be searched for.
If you want to select other printers (i.e. those that have not been tagged as recently used), you can search for them by typing the printer information in the text box.
1. From the Jobs list tab, select the print job you want to delete by checking on the box next to the job you want to delete.
2. Click the Delete icon.
Note: If the job is password protected, the password must be entered first before the job can be deleted.
Password-protected jobs are displayed with the icon. If the job is password protected, the password must be entered before the job can be printed. If several jobs with the same username and password are printed, you can multi-select the jobs and click Print. You do not have to select the jobs one by one.
1. Select the password protected job that you want to release.
2. Select the payment method.
3. Select the printer that you wish to release the job to and then click Print.
4. On the Confirm payment and print dialog box, click Confirm.
5. Enter the password required to release the job(s).
6. Click OK.
1. Select the print job(s) you want to print by checking on the box next to the job type.
2. Select the desired Payment Method.
3. Select or search for the printer that you wish to send your print job(s) to.
4. Click Print to send the selected job(s). A dialog box confirming payment appears.
5. Click Confirm to release your print job.
6. Collect your print jobs from the printer.
When you first log in to the Pharos Print Center, the first screen that you see is the Job List screen. This screen shows a list of documents that you have submitted for printing.
Type – Shows the format of the document you have submitted. For example, Text, Word, Excel, etc.
Title – Shows the document name. This is usually the document name from the application that created the job.
Pages – The number of pages.
Pieces of Paper – The pieces of paper on which the document will be printed.
Submitted – Shows how long ago you have submitted the document.
Cost – Specifies how much you will be charged for printing the job(s).
Print Preview (if MobilePrint is installed) – Hovering over the Print Preview icon shows the job attributes (e.g. Black & white, Double-sided, number of pages per side, number of copies) of the document. Non-MobilePrint jobs (i.e. those sent via Pharos Queues or Popups) will show N/A. This means that you cannot change the print options for those jobs. Double clicking on the Print Preview icon shows a preview of the document before printing.
Note: If the job you are looking for is not in the list or click the Refresh icon or press F5 to refresh the display until the print job appears.
Click on the Activity tab to view your transaction history. The tab shows the following information about your Print Center Transactions:
Activity Date – The date when the activity occurred.
Activity Time – The time when the activity occurred.
Activity type – The type of activity performed. This could be any of the following:
o Computer – You have reserved and used a Computer.
o Copy – Your account has been debited for using a copier.
o Credit – Funds/money have been deposited to your Pharos internal account.
o Custom – A custom transaction (e.g. one sent from third-party software to Pharos) has been recorded.
o Deleted Print – The job was deleted before it was printed. This includes jobs that you have deleted and jobs that have been purged by the system.
o Fax –Your account has been debited for a fax transaction.
o PayPal Add Funds – Funds/money have been deposited from your credit card or PayPal account to your Pharos internal account.
o Print – This records your print activity and your account has been debited for sending a print job to a printer.
o Scan –The user has been debited for a scanning transaction.
o Transfer Funds – Money has been transferred into the user's internal account at a Pharos Station or an Add Value Station.
Description – Provides a description for your activity. It includes information, such as the name of the job and attributes (e.g. Black and White, Double-sided) associated with the job.
Cost Center Charges – The amount of money charged to the Cost Center.
My Funds Charges – The amount of money charged to the activity.
To restrict the number of activities shown, you can apply a filter so that only those items that meet certain criteria are displayed.
To filter activity type:
1. Click on the Activity tab.
2. In the Activity type drop-down, select the type of activity you want to filter your jobs by.
3. Select the start date and end date.
To show all activities, select the All Activities (Except Deleted) option on the Activity Type drop-down list box.
Activity view can also be grouped by column; for example, you can group items by Activity Type, Activity Date, etc. To group an item, drag its column header to the space above the title.
Any user who wants to use the Pharos Print Center on a temporary basis can create a guest account by clicking on the “I am a guest” link on the Print Center logon screen.
This opens a new dialog box prompting the guest user for more information, such as First Name, Last Name, Email Address, and Password. Click the Create button to create a new guest account. Take note of your email address and your password because these will become your username and password to log in to the Pharos Print Center.
Once you have created a guest account, you can immediately log in to the Pharos Print Center, but you will not be able to print yet. You will have to add funds to your account first to be able to print.
Enter the email address and the password that you have used when you created your guest account.
Your account will remain active as long as you have funds in (i.e. your balance is not zero). However, if you have not added funds to your account, it will be removed depending on the number of days set in the “Guest Account duration in days” setting if the account does not have any remaining funds.
By default, the Guest Account duration in days is set to 28 days. Please contact your administrator to find out how many days the guest accounts remain in the Pharos database.
You can add funds to your account using the following options:
· Via credit card, debit card, or PayPal account (this option may not be available)
· Kiosk machines
· Talk with your print administrator about other ways of adding funds
You will need a credit card, a debit card, or a PayPal account to add funds to your account using the Pharos Print Center.
1. Click on the Add Funds button next to the Payment method.
2. Enter the amount you wish to add to your funds. Take note that a transaction fee is charged to your account.
3. Check on the I agree to pay the total above box.
4. Click Continue to Payment. You will be redirected to the PayPal website to complete the transaction. Follow the on-screen instructions. You can choose to top-up your account balance using your PayPal account, credit card, or debit card.
5. Once you’ve completed the PayPal transaction, you will be redirected back to the Pharos Print Center to continue printing.
6. Additional funds will be credited to your User Pays purse.
The Pharos Print Center includes a Funds Report tab that shows a list of all PayPal transactions for a selected date range, to help reconcile Pharos transactions against PayPal transaction reports
Note: Only users with an Administrator privileges can access the Funds Report tab.
To view Funds history:
1. Click on the Funds Report tab to view funds history.
2. Select the Start Date and the End Date.
Activity view can also be grouped by column; for example, you can group items by Payer’s email address, Deposit Date, etc. To group an item, drag its column header to the space above the title.
The Pharos Print Center allows the Funds report to be exported to a Microsoft Excel comma-separated value (CSV) file.
To export the Funds Report data, click the Export icon found on the right hand side of the Funds Report screen.
With MobilePrint integration, there are two more ways on which you can send jobs to the Pharos Print Center:
Email Print submission- Send documents to print to the MobilePrint email address.
Web Print submission - Upload documents via the Pharos Print Center.
1. From your mobile device, laptop, or desktop, send or forward documents to print (as attachments) to the email address set up for MobilePrint (e.g. email@example.com).
2. You will receive a return email showing a list of your submitted documents and a link to the Pharos Print Center website.
3. Release your print jobs from the Pharos Print Center, Pharos Mobile Print Center (i.e. the mobile version of the Pharos Print Center) or via the Terminals.
You can submit print jobs by uploading them via the Pharos Print Center instead of sending them to Pharos Queues or sending via email to MobilePrint.
1. Log on to the Pharos Print Center using your network ID and password.
2. Click the Upload icon (found underneath the Job List tab).
3. Browse to the location of the document(s) you want to upload and print.
4. Proceed with releasing your print jobs.
Text (CSV, RTF & TXT)
Images (JPG, TIFF, GIF, BMP)
Note: Pharos Print Center allows you to change some printing options of print jobs sent via MobilePrint (either via email print or web upload). You cannot change the document attributes of jobs sent via Popups or standard Pharos Queues.
Pharos Print Center enables you to change the following printing options:
Black & White to Color or vice versa
Single-sided to Double-sided or vice versa
Number of pages per side (1 pages or 2 pages per side)
Number of copies
To change printing options:
1. Select the job whose document attributes you wish to change.
2. Select the printer that you want to send your print job to.
3. On the Print Options section (located next to the Payment method), select the finishing option you want to apply to your documents. The following options are available:
Documents sent via web upload will default to black & white and double sided. This means that if you sent a document in color and did not change the print option to “Print in Color” and/or “single-sided”, the documents will be printed in Black & White and double-sided.
1. Select the print job that you want to print multiple copies of.
2. In the Print Options, select the Copies button.
3. Enter the number of copies in the textbox provided. Print Center will automatically cost the jobs based on the number of copies you’ve selected.
4. Proceed with printing and releasing your jobs.
To release documents sent via email, your email address must first be registered to the Pharos Print Center.
You must have a valid user account in the Pharos system to be able to register an email address to Pharos Print Center.
You can register as many email addresses as you want to the Pharos Print Center.
To register your email address:
1. The first time you send documents for printing to MobilePrint (via email) and the Pharos database does not have a record of your email address, you will receive a reply email to complete email registration.
2. Click on the “Click to register your email address” link. You will be redirected to the Pharos Print Center website.
3. Log in to the Pharos Print Center with your username and password. You will see a dialog box showing that your email address has been successfully registered to your account.
4. Click OK.
Note: Email registration is required once only; if you have submitted a job using the same email address, the next time you print, you will no longer be asked to register.
Initially there will be no printers listed on the Pharos Print Center. You will need to search for a printer for it to be displayed in the list of available printers.
Pharos Print Center shows recently used printers only. If you have not previously printed to a specific printer, it will not have a record of this printer. You will need to actively search for that printer. For more information, refer to “Searching for a printer” topic.
If you do not see your job on the job list, you may have to refresh your browser by clicking on the Refresh button or clicking the F5 key.
You cannot change the print options for any of the following reasons:
You have not yet selected a document to print. You must first select a document before the document options are enabled.
You have submitted your documents to a Pharos Queue or via Pharos Popups. You cannot change the printing options for these jobs. You can change print options for jobs sent via email or web upload only.
The printer that you have selected does not support the print option you have selected.
Why can’t I select a payment method?
The payment method will remain greyed out until a document is selected for printing. Only when you have selected a job will the payment method be available for selection.
No. A PayPal account is just another method of adding funds to your account. If you do not have a PayPal account, you can use a credit or a debit card.
This depends on the length of time specified in the Purge Time for the Print Group associated with your printer. By default, the Purge Time is set to 120 minutes (2 hours).
N/A under the Print Options column means that you have submitted print jobs via normal Pharos Queues and not via MobilePrint. You cannot change print options for jobs sent via Pharos Queues. You can only change job attributes for MobilePrint jobs.
Hovering over the Print Options column shows you the document attributes that will be applied to your print jobs.